Tuesday, February 7, 2012

New Lamp & Cleo Preview

I was having a hard time getting the detail I wanted, so I went out to staples last week and got a magnifying lamp. The lamp itself is an utter piece of crap. It was the cheapest one there, and basically fell to pieces in the box. I would recommend springing for something a little more sturdy as I'm going to need to do eventually.

Despite the quality issues with the lamp, it works AMAZING for getting those tiny details. I don't feel as shaky when painting, and I get a much more confident paint stroke. 


Here's a little demo of the work station. Just a simple fold out table with the magnifying light clipped to one side. I've got my pallet and paints on one side with a wee tiny brush I use for the fine detail painting. It's a 20/0 Liner from Princeton Art & brush company. I use Acrylic Flow release to thin out my acrylics to make them a nice inky consistency, and then build up thin layers slowly. I use Golden brand Acrylics that are already liquid to begin with. That spray can in the back is MSC, (Mr Super Clear) a product used to seal the face and get a nice even coat. 


Here's what I have so far on Cleo. I learned a lot this run, and hope to improve as I paint more MH dolls and BJDs.  Just Ignore the wig for now, she'll be getting a new one soon. I also want to sew her an outfit. I'll post up her finished pics as soon as I get her all together. 

~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment